Saturday, June 16, 2018

Back (and forth) for Boulder IM (2018)

A week ago Boulder IM celebrated it's 5th running in 2018.  I had missed the 2017 version.  It was the only one of Boulder's 5 that I didn't do.  I wasn't happy about missing this hometown race but Bella I had just gotten back from IM Florianopolis two weeks earlier and I had just started a new job out of state and my beautiful wife would have clobbered me if I toed the starting line.

Bella and I after IM Brasil
So I had been thinking about Boulder IM 5.0 for a year.  But as the starting date drew closer, I began to have my doubts if I would be able to make this one as well.  Working and training on the road is TOUGH!  I was pretty happy when I was assigned to be out on the OC for the winter.  I thought, no indoor trainer rides.  I'd spend everyday, running and biking in the beautiful southern California sun.  
Running in Newport Beach

I brought Bella out to the coast with me.  This was going to be great!!  But it was not to be......I did get a lot of 2-5 mile runs in almost every morning to start my day.  I also got a fair amount of swimming in a very hot 24 hour fitness pool across the street from work.  This was a pool kept at temp for the blue hairs doing their aqua aerobic classes certainly not for swimming training.  The riding....didn't happen nearly as much as it should have.  I spent most of my weekends on the road trying to get back home to be with my family in Colorado, New York or Louisiana.  
RocknRoll New Orleans March '18

That took away those long weekend rides, I have become accustomed to and I had to make do with a few 15 milers midweek until the  sun started to set later in the day and I was able to squeak in a couple of 25 mile rides. Again, a far cry from what I am used to in order to hit 112 come IM  day.


Then the weekend of May 6-7 came along.  Just over one month out from the race.  My doubts of doing this race was at an all time high.  My training was sub par, particularly on the bike and I've been at or below sea level for just about a year now.  How would my body handle the elevation gain?  How would my legs handle the 112 miles on a bike then hit a marathon run?  How would I ride the hills in and around Boulder?  New Orleans, where I was prior to the OC, doesn't have much elevation gain.  I need a mental boost in a big way.  Friends started to ask if I was even racing because they hadn't heard from me about it or seen any serious training posts on FB.  I was keeping what I was doing on the down low. This first weekend in May, I was flying Bella back to Boulder with me and I was going to do a Big Boy training weekend.  My thought, if I can handle this weekend, it will be a nice step in the right direction for me mentally.  I needed it.  
Jess and I out for a run

Hitting some hills as a brick workout

Saturday Jess and I ran a 10k.  I then bricked it by some time in the saddle riding up hills and inclines around our neighborhood.   I reached at to my buddy Stephan for much needed companionship on a ride for Sunday.  We hit a great 55 miles together.  More importantly it was a single loop around the the Boulder IM Course.  This was the most I had ridden in a single outing since IM Cozumel in November.  I had a blast and loved the course.  
Stephan and I hitting the Boulder IM Course

Hello....Winston!

It was definitely a step in the right direction.  I could feel the pressure on my lungs on a few of the ups that I wouldn't normally feel when living in town.  I wondered how this would feel the second time around during the race since it was a 2 lap course.

Back to California Bella and I went.  

The next weekend was another trip to NY.  CA-CO-NY on Friday.  Jess and I landed late in Laguardia.  I was able to lay my head on the pillow for just a couple of hours before I was out to meet my Uncle John for an open water training swim/paddle.  
Great South Bay Swim

Getting ready for an early morning paddle and swim.

We entered the Maggie Fischer Great South Bay Swim.  This is just about a 10k swim across the bay in NY near where I grew up.  It is a fundraiser effort where I shall swim the distance and my uncle will be my safety paddler in a kayak.  I have had a few HS buddies do this swim every year and I've always wanted to give it a try.  So why not??  My Uncle and I wanted to get the feel for one another and the waves and current and such prior to the event on July 13th.  So early Saturday morning before the boats were out on the bay, we were.  To support our fundraising efforts please consider donating at.....Go Fund Me Swim.

Then off to spend a wonderful day with my folks.  Jess's parents also made the trip as the following day on Mother's Day we had the 20th running of a Memorial 5k for my cousin Elizabeth.  
20th Elizabeth T McNamee Memorial Run

It was an honor to have my family all together for this event.  Sunday night back on the plane to Denver drop Jess off and then back to Cali.

Although the ride a couple of weeks ago was great with Stephan, I needed more than 1 ride of 55 miles to allow me to feel comfortable to do an Ironman.  The following weekend, Bella and I were back on a plane to Colorado.  It was my birthday weekend and I wanted to spend it with my wife and to hit 70+ miles of the course.  
Happy Birthday to me!

Leaf is a Bday Dinner Tradition in Boulder

I think all the travel, lack of sleep and spending the previous weekend in the rain and cold in NY took its toll on me as I was teetering and on the brink of getting sick.  I had taken the week off from training.  I had a ride planned with a few of my Colorado peeps and I had to cancel that as well.  Back to the OC Bella and I went.  Concerned we might not get enough of time in to feel right for the race.  I was about 75% / 25% that I was going to even do it at this point.

The following Thursday night Bella and I flew back to Colorado.  Rugger, Jess and I enjoyed a beautiful Friday morning run together followed by a brick swim.  
Me and my favorite running partners

Saturday was another test ride day.....this time Kerry took to the roads with me and we had a fantastic 70 miler.  My confidance was now at a high for entering the race.  Sunday was followed by an easy 20 miler through the hood.  
Truly needed this 70 miler with Kerry

And......Winston!

I'm heading back to Cali....to Cali....to Cali.....this time I left Bella behind as I wanted her all tuned up and ready to go.  The team at Colorado MultiSport always does my prerace tune up and I dropped her off to get lubed and ready.

June 2-3rd the weekend before Boulder IM I was blessed with two easy days of riding with my tribe. Stephan, Kerry and Jen joined me for an easy 35 on Saturday and Eddie and Natalia for a super easy 20 on Sunday as my last peddle.    I laughed and smiled so much during my time out on the roads with these people this last month.  They truly are the reason I felt that I could do it.  That I could complete another Ironman.  I loved that they all killed me on the hills like I was standing still and Bella was thrilled that she was able to lead the way fly on downhills.  This course would be forgiving to us.

Saturday morning shake out ride with Stephan, Kerry & Jen
T-minus 1 week to Boulder IM with Natatlia & Eddie

I'm good to go.  I know I am not where I would want to be or "should be" but this last month of building my confidence and riding around the course with my dear friends visiting Winsotn and the Oreo Cows was huge.

Back to and from Cali to Colorado one last time.  I got in late Thursday night.  Enjoyed an easy swim on Friday.  With my best friend, my love, my #1 supporter on my side we went and registered for the race.  
Boulder IM Registration....it's really gonna happen

#Letsdothis.  No backing out at this point.  I spent an enjoyable relaxing couple of days with Jess doing the normal pack things up, drop things off, pre race routine.  Saturday night, I made us our traditional pasta dinner with a couple of glasses of wine and I was all set and ready to meet Boulder Ironman 5.0.  
Ahhhhhhh  Italia......Pasta e vino.....perfezionare

I'm back!  I'm back where I belong about to toe the line at Boulder IM.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like hugs...they are great to give and to recieve. Please feel free to reach out and give a hug (comment).